Self care is a popular buzzword recently. Google it and you come up with 50+ million links. We all know we need to be taking time to practice it, but are we really sure why it’s important and how we can prioritize in in our lives?
Well, we can’t take care of others without first taking care of ourselves. Some days, you feel like a rockstar, ready to tackle whatever is in our way. Other days, getting out of bed requires an enormous amount of courage. We have good days and we have bad days. The common factor between it all is ourselves. We have to make sure we’re as healthy as can be so we can press on and make a positive impact for others in this world.
When we neglect to practice self care, we let the elements of the world we live in run us down. Exhaustion, stress, physical sickness, and mental cloudiness plague our days. And eventually, when we hit the point of burnout, of not being able to do one more thing without losing it, we need to practice self care.
Here are 25 simple things you can do to practice self care and nourish your mental energy. Pick one every day for the next 25 days, mix and match throughout the day depending on what you’re facing, or find a few that feel the best to you and repeat them.
There is no wrong way to practice self care so long as you’re taking time each day to nourish yourself and recharge your energy supply. This isn’t a one-time thing, it’s an all-the-time thing!
And if you’re in to TED Talks, here are a bunch of great ones on the subject of self care, from vulnerability, to being mindful, to making stress your friend.
On to the list! 25 things you can do to take care of yourself:
- Find something that makes you feel good and do it daily.
- Light a candle.
- Take a bath.
- Go outside.
- Move your body in a way that feels good to you.
- Say no.
- Netflix and chill.
- Write about what is making you happy, unhappy, or just stream of conscious let it all flow out.
- Start a gratitude practice.
- Get a massage.
- Eat something green.
- Ask for help.
- Call your mom, aunt, sister, or best friend.
- Do yoga.
- Learn what helps you release stress and do it (here in Pittsburgh, perhaps that looks like throwing axes at a target!)
- Take a breath.
- Turn off your phone for an hour.
- Delete the Facebook app (or any app that triggers you) from your phone.
- Remove triggers period.
- Pet an animal.
- Use an app like TalkSpace to find and talk to a therapist (or schedule an appointment with yours face-to-face).
- Tune into your intuition and listen to what she’s needs you to hear.
We have a lot going on in our everyday interactions, from remembering to take out the trash to having to make a tense phone call at work. It’s okay, necessary in fact, to take time for yourself. Without doing so, you could be a lot worse for the wear. So please, be gentle with yourself. Self care isn’t selfish, it’s caring for the only body you have in this one, precious life!