Have you ever been in a cosmetics/skincare store and felt overwhelmed by all your options? You’re not alone, many women feel overwhelmed in these stores, sometimes even I do. There are a lot of options and plenty of serums, creams, and ointments for everything under the sun.
I want to take the time to point out that there are both day and night products for your skin and these are definitely worth checking out. Both day and night creams are formulated to offer different benefits to your skin. Not only does each provide different benefits for your skin but each will or will not wear well under makeup, prevent sun damage, etc.
Here’s how day and night creams are different:
Day creams are typically comprised of a lighter formula. This makes them feel lighter on your skin during the day while you’re layering makeup and sunscreen on top of them. Some day creams are even made with SPF in them. Make sure if you’re using a day cream that includes SPF it has enough to keep you fully covered throughout your day.
You should look for a day cream with plenty of antioxidants in it to protect your skin from daily pollution and UV rays (AKA free radicals).
Ingredients To Look For In Your Day Cream:
- Hyaluronic Acid – This ingredient will help to plump and soften your skin. This anti-aging ingredient draws water from deep within your skin to its outer layers so your skin will look plumper and smoother!
- Glycerin – This ingredient is like hyaluronic acid in that it absorbs and retains water. It’s great because it keeps your skin smooth, hydrated and maintains your skin’s outer barrier.
- Antioxidants – These can help to relieve dry skin. Antioxidants can also help to shield your skin from further deterioration from pollution and the sun’s rays. It can also help you to fight aging. Some great antioxidants to look for are: green tea extract, vitamin C, Vitamin E, grape extract and ferulic acid.
Day Creams I Recommend:
- Elastine Jour
- Creme 28
- Creme 93
- Hydra N1 creme and Fluide
- Vital Defense
- Advanced Optimizer Creme
- Excellence Code Creme
- Nutri Defense Creme
- Time Resist Jour
- Circadia Aquaporin Cream
- Circadia Phito-Pep 1.6
Night creams are heavier and can cause shininess and breakouts if used too often or used with the wrong skin type. These creams are formulated to hydrate your skin at night so they’ll slowly release moisture over several hours. This is beneficial to your skin because while you’re sleeping your body (and skin) are healing. Night creams are different from day creams in that they’re more of a moisture powerhouse.
Night creams shouldn’t be used during the day as they’re full of active ingredients that can cause irritation and sensitivity when worn in the sun. Actives like retinol, glycolic acid, and peptides won’t do well in the sunlight so avoid wearing your night cream outside! These ingredients will help you most at night as they’re all great for anti-aging.
Ingredients To Look For In Your Night Cream:
- Alpha Hydroxy – These acids can improve the overall look and feel of your skin while reducing signs of aging and wrinkles as you sleep.
- Licorice Root Extract – This extract contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help your skin. It can also help to lighten dark spots and hyper pigmentation. The soothing and brightening properties of this extract will improve your skin daily.
- Retinol – This ingredient is proven to boost collagen, speed cell turnover (which helps with discoloration) and unclog your pores.
- Resveratrol – This ingredient comes from grapevines and other fruits and has powerful anti-aging properties. It’ll help with anti-aging, firmness and improving your skin’s elasticity.
- Glycolic – This acid is a naturally occurring substance that penetrates your skin deeply and easily to help treat fine lines, acne, blackheads, dullness, oiliness and uneven texture.
Night Creams I Recommend:
- Yonka Time Resist Creme Nuit
- Yonka Elastomer Nuit
- Yonka Phyto 58
- Circadia Night Time Repair
- Circadia Night Time Repair Plus
If you’re looking to get the most benefits out of your face cream, I recommend using each as needed based on what’s in the product and what the ingredients are designated for. Not only do I carry Circadia and Yonka products at my studio but I also use them daily. When I thought about what lines I wanted to carry I wanted to make sure they were lines I loved and was using as well. This is why I offer Yonka and Circadia. I’ve received training on both lines and I’m always happy to talk with you further about any products in my studio. If you have skin concerns or issues and would like a product recommendation don’t hesitate to reach out to me. Stay safe out there and protect your skin while enjoying all that summer has to offer my friends!